This event has passed.
Vancouver: BC Play Therapy Association: Healing Medical Trauma in Play Therapy
October 28, 2022
Medical trauma is a prevalent experience for many children who have undergone medical procedures or experienced chronic and acute conditions, yet is often not included in trauma discussions. Learn how to use play to help children integrate their medical experiences.
- Explain some of the similarities and differences between the role of a play therapist and the role of a child life specialist in a medical setting.
- Describe the connection between a child’s nervous system activation and the symptoms displayed in and out of the play room
- List at least 4 creative play interventions to help children heal from medical trauma.
- Describe what it means to become a child’s external regulator in a play therapy session for trauma integration.
- List the 4 threats that need to be addressed for a child to feel safe in a play therapy session allowing for trauma integration.
- Describe common traumatic stress reactions related to Medical Interventions and Procedures.
This workshop, Medical Trauma in Play Therapy, will take place on Friday, October 28, 2022 from 8:30 am – 4:30 pm Pacific.
This workshop is day one of two one-day workshops Lisa Dion is presenting at The British Columbia Play Therapy Association. The other workshop is Playing Perfectly: A Play Therapist’s Guide for Working with OCD in Play Therapy.
Attend one day or both! For more information and to register, CLICK HERE.